Thursday, September 27, 2007

memory loss

I think I'm losing it. There was a time when I was really organized and on top of things. I could juggle in my head important dates and appointments. When I had cakes coming up, I would write extensive lists of ingredients, and supplies, weeks or even months, before the cake was needed. I had cute little order forms with sketches that helped me and my clients visualize the outcome of the cake. And then, after the cake was completed, delivered, and paid for, I had this great little filing system with images I used, design ideas, and shopping lists that I could refer to in the case of an upcoming similar cake.
There was a time when I could remember all of my kids' appointments and homework schedules and everything else. And I feel like those times weren't all that long ago. But recently, I'm a mess. I write things on the calendar, and plan ahead, and do all the things that should keep me organized, but then I forget. I look at the calendar and realize that I have forgotten something I should have done three days ago. I get assignments for my calling at church and tell myself I will go directly home from the meeting, do the assignment, follow up, and report back. The next thing I know, its the next meeting and I haven't done one of my assignments because I forgot, even though I wrote it down. Can you get early Alzheimer's when you are thirty?
When my first child was a baby, I always knew how much he weighed, when his milestones were, and at which developmental stage he should be. Poor Spencer doesn't even have a baby book. I can't remember his first word or when he took his first step. He hasn't had pictures taken in ages and Jake had them every three months. The only baby souvenir I have for Spence is a small zip lock of hair from his first haircut that has been attached to the fridge with a magnet for a year and a half. Not only is it pathetic, it completely creeps my husband out. He hates the weird hair collection on the fridge but I'm afraid that if I remove it, I will lose the little baggy containing the ONLY thing of Spencer's babyhood I kept.
Recently my mom moved in with us and while going through her things, we came across all of her calendars from when we were kids. At first, I thought I would need to convince her that these were needless clutter. We really don't need a record of our dance lessons and soccer practice schedules. Then, she showed me why I was wrong, and we did indeed need to keep her calendars. SHE KEPT RECORDS. There is not ONE empty calendar square in 20 years' worth of calendars. They are not filled with just practice schedules either. She journaled our entire childhoods in these calendars. She wrote something significant each day. She wrote the first time that me and ALL of my siblings said "uh, oh skettio." THERE ARE FIVE OF US!!! She recorded not only my oldest brother's first word, steps, doctor appointments, injuries, and immunizations, she recorded that stuff for all of us.
I have GOT to step it up.

2 comments:

Nikoletta said...

Oh my gosh, this is so funny. I love the visual of a toupe hanging on the fridge as an obstacle to getting milk. Ha ha. My mom didn't keep anything (except maybe the really important mementos) and she's always encouraged me to throw things out as well. But I like to keep some important things forever (like going out costumes from Florentine Gardens).

Of all my traveling I've decided the best thing to keep from everywhere is a journal of how I felt and digital images that don't take up space.

I once saw on a morning show that to reduce clutter but to still keep memories, they took photos of art projects and crafts their kids made and created a binder/book that sat on the coffee table. It was really cute.

And about memory and your 30s...
I'm right there with you. I haven't remembered anything for quite a while now (can't even remember since when!) Even my calendar at work that pops up with a 10min reminder to a meeting isn't working, I'm constantly missing meetings because 10 min is too long to have to remember!

I've been starting to realize that I used to be much smarter too. I downright feel like Jessica Simpson some days. But I did destroy a few brain cells in my 20s by choice. Oh well.

By the time I have kids, I will forget about them in their entirety.

Leyla... said...

You make me laugh. I used to consider myself a smart and together person before I had kids. Now I just feel frazzled and sweaty! I'm hoping my memory will return to me someday!