Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom!!


Thursday is my mom's 60th birthday. We will celebrate one of life's great women. She didn't cure cancer. She didn't solve the health care crisis. She didn't even go to college. But, what she did do is even more amazing than any of those things. This woman's life has been so exemplary. I aspire to be half the woman she is. I owe all that I am to the woman who has persevered through everything life can throw at you. She has taught me that life is hard and there is no way around that fact. All we can do is control our reaction to those difficult times. She has taught me to stick up for myself and for what I believe in. There is nothing in this world worth sacrificing your principles; NOTHING. She has taught me about trust. When trust is lost, it is a long, hard road to get it back. But, get it back we must. Love is nothing without trust. She has taught me that being a grandparent is totally worth all the crazy you have to go through as a parent. She has also taught me that once you are a mother, you are always a mother. I will ALWAYS need her. She has taught me how to hold my tongue when necessary. She has taught me to speak up when it is important. She has taught me that loyalty to family is paramount. She has taught me that service is the way to show love for those around you and our Father in Heaven. Above all, Helen Briggs has taught me that I am a good person, with lots to offer, and if I do, I will be blessed.

It was my utmost pleasure to orchestrate, with my sister and brothers, a surprise party for her on Saturday night. We had delicious tiny food and a great time showing her our love. Mom, you are the greatest! It is a great honor to be your daughter. I hope I can please you always.


2 comments:

Leyla... said...

Aren't moms the best!?! Happy Birthday to your mom!

pieofthemonth said...

I also love your mom, give her a big hug for me and tell her "way to go, the big 6-O!"
xo