Tuesday, November 20, 2007

pupply life

We are having lots of fun with the dog. It is quite an adjustment, but I think we are transitioning well. We are crate training, and the dog really loves the concept. I'm pretty impressed with it myself.


Oliver Twist is learning quickly who is easiest to manipulate. I am trying to train him to be a well mannered dog, but the kids aren't setting the best example. My goal is to avoid people food and table scraps as much as possible, I'm not real fond of the dog begging at the table. But, Oliver has quickly learned that the little ones are happy to give him any treat he wants.
This past weekend, I had a wedding cake:


Pretty hah. Anyway, I was baking all day Friday while trying to keep an eye on the shenanigans of toddlers and puppies. I looked away for a few seconds. I heard a crunch by the back door and noticed that the dog was eating something. I went to investigate as I hadn't given him anything. To my horror, and utter confusion, there was a raw egg, ON MY CARPET. Several things flashed through my mind.

  • how did the dog reach the counter? he can barely climb up the stairs.
  • will a raw eggs make him sick?
  • will I be cleaning up puppy vomit in the very near future?
  • then: SPENCER!
While trying to clean up the egg (which is nearly impossible with all of the sliminess and such) I asked Spencer, "Did you give the puppy an egg?"
"Yes!!"

He was proud of his dastardly little deed. Now, I can handle the crazy things toddlers do, and the pitfalls of puppy hood, but when they conspire against me, I am at a loss.

I got the egg cleaned up, but dogs have very advanced olfactory abilities. He could still smell the egg. I have tried everything, he now LOVES that spot on the carpet. And it shows. Anyone know how to shave berber carpet so its not all fuzzy and ugly?

2 comments:

Amber said...

Beautiful cake. You are very talented. I don't know how you do that with the kids around. I can barely manage to get dinner done every day.

Leyla... said...

Jeanette - you always make me laugh! I'm sorry about your carpet. The cake looks beautiful!