Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Welcome Race Fans!!

Brent and I went to the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on Saturday. We had a blast. It was loud, and fast, and warm. Brent basically baked his forehead off, but he hasn't hit the itchy stage yet, so he is bearing it well thus far. We went because Garrett makes turbos for the Champ racing series and this was their last race, ever. From now on, these cars will not have turbos, so it was an historic race for Brent and his comrades, albeit a sad one. They love their turbos.

Anyway, we had a great time. There was all kinds of fair-type food, and racing vendors. A day at the races is definitely a microcosm of the nation. There was every type of person there, a smörgåsbord of people watching, if you will. The thing that cracked me up the most was the crazy women who walked around all day in 4" platform stilettos and mini skirts. My feet were dying in my super-comfy cons. But, to each her own.

This is what we listened to for 100 minutes. We quickly sought out ear plugs. I don't know how NASCAR fans make it through 4+ hour races, (sorry Niki, I mean no disrespect.)


It took me six tries to get a car moving THAT fast in the shot.
All the Le mans cars lined up before the race.
For Niki:
My mom was sweet enough to watch the boys for the day and they had a great time too. She told me the funniest story about their day. They ate lunch at Burger King, and while they were there, a women walked over to their table. She said, "You boys are all being so quiet and well-mannered here with your grandma. Do you know what I do for polite boys? I give them each a dollar." She then passed out one crisp dollar bill to each of my boys. They were elated. Of course, whenever I take them somewhere to eat, people usually run the opposite direction. I guess the problem is obviously me. I realize now, they weren't running from the boys; they were running from the crazed woman dragging the boys behind her.

One more Post Script; For Wendell: I came downstairs yesterday afternoon and found Jake eating his FOURTH bowl of cereal.

2 comments:

Nikoletta said...

Nice! I really wanted to come down for that, but purely for the noise :)

In fact, I have heavy duty earphones that I listen to my scanner with, and I leave one side off my ears (the side from which traffic is coming from) because I love the sound of the engines roaring for hours and hours. Its soothing.

Janna said...

That looks like lots of fun. We always wanted to do that when we lived down there. And what a nice Grandma too.