Thursday, March 6, 2008

broken

I sprained my ankle on Monday morning. I was braving the jungles of parenthood and about to walk my son to the end of our terrifying driveway to greet his ride to school. Somehow, as I scaled down the steep climb of our front porch, (THREE WHOLE INCHES) I fell, and sprained my ankle. It hurt, but I was able to get up and walk on it. So I did. I then took Elijah to preschool and Spencer to Tot Lot, where it was my day to work. By the time two hours of being on my feet had passed, I could no longer put any weight on my left foot. So I HOPPED to my car. That's right, I HOPPED; in front of all the other tot lot moms. Apparently, hopping was a bad choice. I got so winded, and my foot hurt so bad that I almost passed out. I went around to the back of my car for some water, and had to lie down in the parking lot in order to clear my head. And yes, all the other tot lot moms are still witnessing this; threatening to call 911. "NOOOOO, not 911, I'll be fine." So, I call Shannon (thanks friend) and she comes to pick up Spencer and she will pick up Eli from preschool. Now I just have to be steady enough to drive home 1 mile. I made it; barely. As I pull in to the garage, I call my other friend Cheryl and she agrees to pick up Jake from school. So I'm good. I can just go inside, ice my foot, take some motrin, and put it up. The problem is, I CAN'T WALK!! It hurts so bad that I am crying like a baby and I have to crawl inside. So I call my sister and she comes over to save me. We call her husband and he tells me that unless a few certain spots cause excruciating pain when touched, it is not broken. Those spots didn't hurt so I was back to ice and motrin.
Jake comes home from school and is so concerned about me. He's crying in empathy, very sweet. then he helps out the rest of the day. so nice.
Fast forward to night time, I am once again CRYING from pain. I finally decide I need to go to the ER. I had borrowed some crutches from a friend, which helped me at least get around. An hour and a half after entering the ER (which is SUPER fast, by the way) I was home, having had an xray, a shot for pain in my bum, and a moon boot and vicodin.
So now its Thursday and I am still hobbling around, but the pain has subsided immensely. I have to wear the boot for at least a week, then go back into orthopedics for a recheck.
Man I wish I had had a more recent pedicure.

5 comments:

The PM said...

OUCH!! What a bummer. How sweet of Jake to help out.

But I have to ask so that I can imagine it properly--was this Tot Lot at Mayfair Park? That's a long way to the car!

Miss you!
Lisa

Jeanette said...

yes it is mayfair tot lot

Titel Troop said...

Hi Jeanette,
I'm sorry to hear about your ankle! I think Mom's should be immune to illness and injury cause our kids still demand us the same no matter what. Or at least mine do. Well I hope you are back up and well soon! I found your blog from Shannon. Mind if I add you to my friends list?


Mandi Titel

Leyla... said...

Jeanette! I hope you're feeling better soon! I can picture you in a cute little outfit hopping on one foot to the car!

Emily Petty said...

Oh Jeanette, I'm so sorry that you sprained your ankle - it sounds like it was quite a painful ordeal. Although I have to say that your entry about it was quite funny - what a clever writer! It's fun to keep up with you guys via your blog since I don't know when we saw you last!
-Emily